African-Americans are a disadvantaged group of people and the case is sadly not up for debate. In almost all areas of medicine, African American patients as a population fare the worst. The infant mortality rate among the black populace is twice that of whites; Black men are more than twice as likely to die of prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease while black women have almost double the obesity rate of white women and are more likely to suffer from breast cancer.
Additionally, in general, black people are more likely to know someone that has suffered from stroke, diabetes or hypertension than any other ethnicity. So if black lives matter why we do we still live unhealthy lifestyles? Fatty foods, an obvious lack of exercise and smoking are some of the hugest contributors to unhealthy lifestyles. Yet, a lot of individuals seldom take messages cautioning and encouraging them to change their lifestyles seriously.
While other contributing factors such as genetics definitely play a role to the increasing occurrence of unhealthy lifestyles among the black population, a lot of unhealthy cases can be prevented if people started making small changes towards living a healthier lifestyle.
Tips on how more people can take charge of their physical health
Every individual has a routine and preference that suits them best, however, the key to success is balancing everything out. This means knowing when to work out (not abusing your body with brutal workouts) and eating properly. More things that one can do include:
- Sleep better: Sleep is important because, without it, the body ceases to operate effectively. The dangers of lack of sufficient sleep include stress, anxiety, low levels of productivity and it can take a toll on your health and wellbeing.
- Eat less processed food: Processed food includes most frozen canned and dried goods available at the grocery store. Not all processed foods are bad but most contain high amounts of salt and toxic chemicals that are harmful and debilitating.
- Limit your alcohol intake: Enjoying alcohol in moderation not only has numerous health benefits but it also helps to prolong and improve the quality of your life.
- Incorporate veggies into every meal: Veggies contain essential nutrients and minerals needed for the body to function optimally.
- Include at least 30 minutes of exercise daily: Exercise is essential not only for maintaining a healthy weight, but it also boosts one’s energy and concentration levels.
- See the doctor more often: regular medical check-ups are sometimes frowned upon especially by men but they are important because they ensure that everything is working as it is supposed to.